Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Leg Day...The BEST Day

Okay, I am guilty as Alex Hernandez (Sorry, I'm a Giants Fan)....anyway. I am 100% guilty and I am not ashamed to say it.....I LOVE LEG DAY! It makes me so happy! I think it's because I love working out my toughest areas which are my legs and stomach. It seriously makes me feeling amazing. So, here is my LEG DAY workout that will leave you involuntary doing the wobble. Do all exercises with whatever weight is best for you. I know myself personally I have an issue with muscles in my lower legs so I can't squat a lot of weight. Doctors don't know what is wrong but I'm cleared for leg workouts, just no running.

LEG DAY:
(format sets x reps)
Seated Leg Press: 4x15
Calf Raises: 4x25
Wall sits: 3x :30 seconds
Donkey Kicks: 4x 15 (each leg)
Fire Hydrants with Leg Extension: 4x 15 (each leg)
Kettle Bell Swings: 4x 10
Laying Down Side Leg Lifts: 3x 10 (each side) (personally I like doing these resting a weighted body bar on my foot I'm lifting)
Hip Raises: 3x 25
Leg Curls: 4x 15
Hip Abductors: 4x 15
Hip Adductors: 4x 15
Leg Extensions: 3x15
Standing Lunges: 3x 10 (each leg) (can use no weight, plate above head, or barbell/body bar on shoulders)


SQUATS:
 So, here's my thing with squats. I love to squat but everyone has their own personal way of doing it. Free weight, machine, body bar, no weight, dumbbell, one set multiple reps, multiple sets, etc. Personally for me I have to do sets of 10. I have a problem with the muscles in my legs so squats does a lot more than just burn.
I do 5 sets of 10 with either a body bar or on a squat rack. I change up weight depending on how I'm feeling that day. My biggest tip is, hit 90 with your legs, if you can go ass to grass by all means do so. Just know your limits. There are three ways I squat, feet shoulder-width apart toes pointing forward, feet shoulder-width apart toes pointed out, and feet together toes pointed forward.


CARDIO:
I know for myself I cannot run, medically. It is hands down the most painful thing for me to do. My favorite thing to do is ride a bike. I love it and its an INCREDIBLE leg workout. I get on the upright bike at the gym and usually do a 5k. I find that when I have it set to kilometers or depending on your machine a 5k map I push myself harder and in the end I end up doing more.


COOL DOWN AND STRETCH:
I usually am sore after leg day but not as bad as most people are. I think it's because most people don't stretch when they workout and it is VERY VERY important to stretch. It is important you remember a few things....DON'T BOUNCE, and don't push to hard. Breathing is extremely important in stretching. Inhale than stretch while you exhale. This gets oxygen to the muscle giving you a better stretch and ultimately building your flexibility.
Here are some of my stretches:
Sitting on the ground feet together reach for your toes...hold for 5-10 seconds do two times,
Standing with feet together reach for toes...hold for 5-10 seconds do two times,
Standing with feet shoulder width apart reach for toes on right leg...hold for 5-10 seconds do two times each leg and middle.
Do any other stretchs you feel are best.

No comments:

Post a Comment